Monday, February 7, 2011

Luke, I am your Valentine.





So since we are leaving Thursday for our trip and Valentine's Day is Monday... I am trying to get all our stuff needed for Jacob's class party done ahead of time. He is suppose to decorate and bring a box for his Valentines, so since he has some awesome Star Wars Valentines, why not an awesome Star Wars box?

So I start snooping around online for ideas (my FAVORITE thing to do)....

Well, then I stumbled across this:http://www.mrsmcelwee.com/darthbox.html

and it was EXACTLY what I was looking for!


So I used the picture in the link as my inspirations, and used some of her steps- but pretty much just winged it on my own. It was a very simple project. I had everything I needed so it didn't very long at all to make. Maybe a little over an hour?


First you find a box, depending on how big you want your Vader to be. I found this one and it was a perfect mid size that I needed.

Then I cut out the spot at the top for the Valentines to go in.


Now the lady from the site I used, used really nice black paper to cover hers. I decided to go the "mod podge" way since I only had black tissue paper. The lady also suggests that you could also spray paint your box. So it's totally up to you on how you cover it- as long as the final result is an all black box.
Then you go to the site http://www.starwarskids.com and print out your face and the chest thingy. (I'll be honest, I know NOTHING about Star Wars, nada!) I used cardstock to print them on, just so they would be a little more sturdy than on regular printer paper. Next, I used popsicle sticks taped on to the back of Vader's head to make it stand up. Then I made a slit in the box for the popsicle stick to slide into.
So I completely goofed and forgot to take a picture of the cape that I cut out for it. Oops! Sorry, but in all seriousness- it was easy and not complicated at all. I just laid out the black fabric I had and using my pinking rotary tool- cut out a sort of "cape" shape. Is that specific enough? Cause I really didn't give it all that much thought. Then I wrapped it around the "neck" of vader and hand sewed it together.

Well this was the final result.....
Not too bad! It will do the job and Jacob was excited so that's all that matters.



Remember I am a craft blogger in training, so I apologize if this wasn't very good on explaining the steps. Half the time, I'm just coasting through a project or idea and not sure what I will turn out with. Gotta remember that "practice makes perfect", so with that in mind I move on to the next project!






2 comments:

  1. That's so cool!! You're so creative - I'm not so good with the hands on crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also? I think yours looks better than the one in the link you posted. :)

    ReplyDelete